Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Natural Highlights

I found my first gray hair.

I found it this past Saturday while I was doing my hair for work. I pulled it out. Examined it for a minute. It was long. As long as the rest of my hair but the whole thing was gray. From root to tip - silver. Then I dropped it into the toilet. "Natural Highlights," I call them on all of my friends, but of course, that would never happen to me. Bury those feelings.

Get in the car and head for the airport. Listen to a motivational podcast rather than John Legend. Stop by Down to Earth for dinner: kale, beets, beans, carrots and sprouts. I've lost 15 pounds over the past few months, eating like a rabbit. "I feel great."

After a few really rough nights of flights, I was determined to go in and have a good night. That is the power of the mind. Clock in, get my caffeine. I sign some paperwork and write: "11/11" - well shit.

Right then, I tripped and fell over the edge, hitting every tree branch on the way down. The pressure in my chest that I had been suppressing all day was released and it appeared as a non stop flow of water out of my eyes.

The power of the mind. Screw my impeccable memory.

Does the hair come out gray or does it grow brown and with time lose its pigment?

Does it grow with full intent of being dark chocolate brown and then just one day say, "Eff it. I can't do it anymore. I'm out."

Of course it's not about the hair...

No comments:

Post a Comment